Otago Polytechnic offers a range of scholarships for Māori students. These scholarships provide you with financial support - so that you can focus on your learning.
1. Rūnaka Scholarships
The purpose of this scholarship is to acknowledge the contribution students make to their rūnaka and local community. It is offered to four students (one from each of the four local Rūnaka), for study in a chosen programme at Otago Polytechnic. Full fees are paid for the duration of study.
To be eligible:
- You must already be registered with one of the four local Rūnaka:
- Te Rūnaka o Moeraki email@example.com
- Kati Huirapa Rūnaka ki Puketeraki firstname.lastname@example.org
- Te Rūnanga o Ōtākou email@example.com
- Hokonui Rūnaka firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must meet the academic entry criteria for your chosen programme of study.
- You must be a domestic student.
- You must pass your academic studies each year with a minimum of 50%.
- Your study must be continuous.
- You must be enrolled in a full-time, full-year course.
Applications will open again early December 2021
2. He Toki fees scholarship
If you’re an applicant who identifies as M¯aori and you are between 16-40 years old, you can apply for the M¯aori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) He Toki fees scholarship for support to study the Bridging certificate to engineering diploma programme or the New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Level 3) (Carpentry).
For more information about this scholarship:
3. Mana Pounamu Scholarship
The purpose of this Scholarship is to celebrate Māori who have been nominated as recipients of Mana Pounamu Young Māori Achievers Awards. It is offered to all senior/final year recipients of the Mana Pounamu Young Māori Achievers Award.
4. Mātāwaka Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to Māori students who whakapapa outside the Kai Tahu rohe and are studying at Otago Polytechnic. The scholarship covers one year of tuition fees. It has been developed between Otago Polytechnic and local Kai Tahu rūnaka.
To be eligible:
1. You must be of New Zealand Māori descent and not have whakapapa to Kāi Tahu.
2. You must meet the academic entry criteria for your chosen programme of study.
3. You must be a domestic student.
4. You must be enrolled in a full-time, full-year course at Otago Polytechnic.
5. You must live in the Otago region and study at one of the Otago campuses.
Please note: You will not be eligible to apply if you have previously received an Otago Polytechnic fees-paying scholarship.
Applications will open again early December 2021.
5. Māori Education Trust
The Māori Education Trust Scholarship Programme is now open, and offers scholarships to secondary and tertiary students who meet the respective scholarships' criteria. There are undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships available.
6. GCSB Women in STEM scholarship
The Government Communications Security Bureau is offering up to 3 scholarships, each with a value of $10000. One scholarship will be dedicated to a Māori/Pasifika candidate.
Applications are open to female second-year tertiary students and above (including Honours and Masters students) intending to take a full-time course of study in science, technology, computer engineering, mathematics, data science and cyber security at any New Zealand tertiary institution.
Applications open 1 June.
7. Irihapeti Ramsden Memorial Scholarship for Midwifery
Nga Maia Māori Midwives Aotearoa offers a scholarship to one successful applicant to the Otago Polytechnic School of Midwifery each year.
Find out more about this scholarship.