- Personal Trainer
- Exercise Consultant
- New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4) or equivalent.
- In exceptional circumstances, an applicant under 20 who does not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme where they supply evidence of their ability to succeed on the programme.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, it's highly recommended that you are vaccinated against Covid-19 if you want to apply for this programme.
All health sector organisations engaging healthcare workers have obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 to take all reasonable steps to eliminate, or otherwise control, the risk of Covid-19 transmission in the workplace.
The New Zealand Government has mandated the vaccine for frontline healthcare workers. Many of the healthcare providers we work with are requiring their staff, including any students on placement, to be vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination.
As more providers follow suit, if you are:
- unvaccinated, or
- choose not to disclose whether or not you are vaccinated, or
- choose not to provide evidence if asked about your vaccination status
this will have an impact on healthcare placements that you are allocated to as part of this programme and will have an impact on you being able to successfully complete the programme.
All students will need to wear Otago Polytechnic branded clothing when they are working with clients or out with industry. We ask all learners to have a laptop or tablet that they can use for classwork.
Full-time students will be expected to study for 36 hours per week. This will include directed teaching, self-directed learning and industry experience hours. If you choose to study part-time, you will need to study for around 16 hours per week.
Professional Practice 2 (Level 5, 15 credits)
Learn how to apply and evaluate professional practice principles of working in the exercise industry.
Exercise Science 2 (Level 5, 15 credits)
Gain an understanding of how to apply behaviour change interventions in relation to nutrition and exercise.
Exercise Prescription - Theory (Level 5, 15 credits)
Learn how to develop and adapt exercise prescription to meet the needs of clients.
Personal Training - Practice (Level 5, 15 credits)
Discover how to plan, implement and evaluate exercise programmes for a range of exercise participants.
Further study options
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.